Blue Island Illinois Culture
Blue Island Welcome Weekend is an annual event made possible by a grant from the National Park Service. Hundreds of residents and visitors celebrate the 175th birthday of the historic city, enjoy the houses and recognize significant beautification projects. Hosted by the Blue Island Visitors Bureau and the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR), the weekend is entering its third year of annual celebrations. This is the second year of the event, which is provided by the grant of the National Park Service to residents, visitors, local businesses and local organizations.
The Blue Island Historical Society (BIHS) brings together people interested in the history of the city, its history and its people. The library is home to the award-winning museum space and the only public library of its kind in Illinois. It is one of only a handful of public libraries in Chicago and the second largest in North America.
It is also a sponsor of the Blue Island Sun-Standard, sponsored by the Illinois State Board of Education and the Chicago Public Library System, and founded by Don D'Amato, a former columnist and editor-in-chief of the Chicago Tribune. It is also the sponsored Blue Island Sun and Standard, and was co-founded with former newspaper columnist and current editor of the Chicago Daily News, D.A. "D.B." Schmitt.
The Blue Island House served as a social centre for the surrounding region until it was destroyed in a fire in 1858. The Blue Island Opera House was built in the late 18th and early 19th centuries, replacing the Robinson Block, which was destroyed by the Great Blue Island Fire that year. In 1859, the first mayor of the Blue Islands, Zacharia D'Amato, and his wife Mary Ann built it at the age of 16 to replace the "Robinson Block" that destroyed the White House and other buildings on the west side of the city in response to the great fire of the Blue Island of 1856. On the other hand, the first mayor of Blue Islands and her husband Z.A. Schmitt built the opera house Blue Island in 1870 with the help of his son D.B., when he was 14, while in 1880 it replaced the Robinsons' Block, a block of buildings in front of Robinson's Block, which had been destroyed by the fire of the "Great Blue Islands" a year earlier.
Downtown Blue Island is home to the Blue Islands Opera House and other historic buildings, including the White House. Today, downtown Blue Island is known for its restaurants, bars, shops and restaurants. The population of the Blue Isles is racially diverse and most residents of all parts are Hispanic, though they are not specified. Some residents identify their ethnicity or ancestry as Mexican, but most of them are not.
Troops arrived on Blue Island on July 4 and stayed for several days, and there is a sixth station, also on the streamline, at the Blue Islands Opera House. On Blue Island, Worth Station, inaugurated on June 26, is located near Canal Junction Station, which is under construction at 107th and Route 83. The borders of the Blue Islanders, in the north and south, are the same as the borders of the Blue Island Station of the US Army Corps of Engineers.
There are several churches and the area is also home to the former home of President Dwight Eisenhower and his wife Eleanor Roosevelt.
Almost all of Blue Island is in Illinois' first congressional district, but parts east of Interstate 57 are in the second district. The school district has about 1,000 students in grades 4-8, with about 2,500 enrolled.
Blue Island borders the city of Chicago and shares its northern border with Morgan Park. It is located on a glacial moraine that was an island when the waters of Lake Chicago covered the area with the former Glenwood Stage Lake. When Blue Island was incorporated as a village in 1872, the village boundary encompassed a small part of the Mt. Greenwood cemetery on the west side of Blue Island. Although the cemetery was added and improved in the following years, it was closed in 1924 by a decree of the village and almost all the remains of those buried there were moved to the Mt. Greenwood Cemetery in Chicago, built by the citizens of Blue Island.
After Central Park closed, Memorial Park became the flagship of Blue Island's parking system and is the largest park in Chicago.
Ideally, Blue Island is located on the north side of Chicago, south of the Chicago River and east of Central Park. It is the second largest park in the city, just behind Memorial Park, and the largest in Chicago history.
Blue Island is located on an ancient glacial ridge that stretches north from Western Avenue and Vincennes Road to 131st Street and 87th Street. As you drive up 127th Street, you will notice the hill on which Blue Island sits, as well as the hills on which it is located.